Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let's just pretend no time has passed. :D

That's what I intend to do here. I'm gonna pick up this project where I left off.
Where is that? one might ask....
And the answer:

Day 07 - A picture of someone/something that has had the biggest impact on you Day 08 - A picture that makes you laugh Day 09 - A picture of the person who has gotten you through the most Day 10 - A picture of someone you see yourself marrying/being with in the future Day 11 - Your celebrity crush Day 12 - A picture of something you love Day 13 - A picture of something you hate Day 14 - Picture of someone you could never imagine your life without Day 15 - A picture of something you want to do before you die Day 16 - Someone you would want to switch lives w/ for one day and why Day 17 - Your favorite song Day 18 - Picture of your biggest insecurity Day 19 - A picture of someone you miss Day 20 - A picture of somewhere you'd love to travel Day 21 - A picture of something that makes you happy Day 22 - A picture that confuses you Day 23 - Something you crave for a lot Day 24- A picture of yourself and a family member Day 25 - Picture of yourself and a family member Day 26 - A picture of something that means alot to you. Day 27 - A picture of something your afraid of Day 28 - A picture of you last year and now, how have you changed since then? Day 29 - A picture that can always make you smile Day 30 - Who are you?


This was a hard one to choose a picture for, or more accurately a person. Still, this one seems to make sense.  Here we have... Pastor Lynn, aka PL, aka Lindy, aka my adopted dad.
That last part is the most important.

We met at a time when I was pretty much as low as I was going to get, adolescence wise.  And his first cementing action into my life was to NOT lecture, NOT preach at me...not say anything at all actually.
I was a suicidal little 13 year old who felt awful about herself and her life, and I was standing in an empty church, and facing a wall.  He came over to where I was standing and asked me how I was doing, and I proceeded to fall to a million pieces.  And you know what he did?  He just opened his arms up and let me cry.  Big bear hug and the peace of mind of knowing someone was there and they cared.  And it made all the difference.

As I got to know him better, I started to find out all the crazy things we had in common. The sense of humor, the music...just the way we think.  I started to see him as family and he accepted me as family.  I still remember the first time I was somewhere and he said "And this is my daughter".  It made sense to me. Here was a person that if I could PICK family, I'd have picked.  And I was lucky enough for him to pick me to be honorary family too.  And it's so much deeper than that.  He protected me in Germany (and a few friends when a strange couple of guys was approaching).  He so happened to be the chaplain and the first on the scene of my big car accident when my parents couldn't get there fast enough.  He showed up at a friend's funeral, at the exact moment I was going to fall apart, yet again. He was there incredibly fast after my brother almost lost his life in a car crash and he again was willing to go to bat for me quite literally in confronting someone I couldn't.

He encouraged me on my way out West and helped me pick up the pieces when I got back.  He fixed my car, and we watched Blackhawks and Cubs games together.

It's due to him that I even know what having a real dad would be like. And it's fantastic.  And since I always, ALWAYS wished I knew? I'd say that's a really big impact.

No comments: